Friday, October 21, 2011

October 21, 2011 Small Spots, Little Treasures

I dream of owning a large piece of property to hunt and fish on one day.  Until that happens I'm content to hunt on small, urban parcels that other folks graciously give me permission to use.  Most of these spots other sportsmen would turn their noses up at but beggars can't be choosers, at least that's what I've always been told.
Last night I bow hunted one such place.  I'd love to say I connected with a deer but the simple truth is I didn't even see one.  That doesn't mean that I had a bad time, in fact quite the opposite is true.  For the better part of three hours I watched squirrels prepare their winter stores, a couple pileated woodpeckers work over a rotting beech tree and, near sunset, saw and heard two flocks of Canada geese fly over, headed for their evening resting spots.  Witnessing these things made this a successful hunt. and transformed this small location into a favorite spot.  Maybe the next time a deer will be involved. 

No comments: