Saturday, September 1, 2007

Outdoor Devotion - Scent

I remember seeing my daddy's mama making the dough in her old, shotgun kitchen. The smell, predominately vanilla, would permeate her home and make my saliva glands go into overdrive. But I knew, no matter how good it smelled, the dough was not for eating but for fishing. You see the dough in question was Granny's top-secret catfish bait. The ingredients were never written down and she took that treasure to the grave but it was deadly on those old channel cats, I guess because of the attraction of the smell, very similar to a little boy being summoned to the stove by the smell of homemade chocolate chip cookies they just couldn't resist that bait.
The first deer I took with my bow was drawn in using that same sensorial draw. I placed an open bottle of Tinks 69 on the ground 15 yards in front of my stand and an hour later he walked up and stuck his snout right up to the bottle, completely unaware of the hunter up in the white oak, placing a fibre optic spot directly behind his front shoulder.
Smells are important. Sportsmen spend millions of dollars on scent eliminating clothing and sprays as well as attractants in the form of sprays, gels, powders, baits, etc. As believers we are to give off a fragrant aroma in our everyday lives. Often I end up smelling like the dead fish stink of sin rather than the floral perfume of salvation. God expects us to give of the fragrant incense of Christ, using the way that we intereact with others to draw them to Himself. May the scent of our lives be pleasing to Him.

For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 2 Cor.2:15














No comments: