Wednesday, November 14, 2012

November 14, 2012 Savage Axis

I've been searching for a .243 for the kids for a while now.  They have a sweet A-bolt in the safe but it's a tad long and heavy for them yet.  After much research I'd pretty much settled on either the Mossberg 100 ATR or the Savage Axis after handling the Savage won hands down. 
I picked it up from the Gun Vault in High Point and Mark added some Weaver rings and bases, installed a Leupold 3x9x40 Vari-Xii I'd removed from another rifle, bore sighted it and slapped on a Butler Creek sling. A
A couple days later I took it out for a test run and I was pleasantly surprised with the results (see below).  After a couple boxes of shells B and some windage and elevation adjustments to the scope the Savage is dead on at 100 yards.  I can't wait for the kids to shoot this thing.  

A.Figuring out the sling was the toughest part.  It works well enough but too cumbersome to install.  Will go with another model or brand next time.  
B. I shot Remington CoreLokts in 100grain and Hornady Custom 95grain bullets.  The performance was pretty similar but I plan on hunting with the Hornadys.  

No comments: