Tuesday, December 9, 2008

12.09.08 Outdoor Devotion: Home

Coming home from the hunt.
Drenched.
Nose running
Fingers and feet shivering.
Smell of burning oak.
Porchlight gleaming.

Glowing lights streaming through windows.
Laughter of loved ones from within.
Home from the hunt.

It's an almost indescribable feeling. No place evokes the emotions or feelings associated with home.
A couple years ago we were spending the weekend on the family farm. While I was chasing whitetails my family was hanging out at the cabin. The boys were playing and watching Noggin while their mama was reading a book and working on supper.
It was a great day to be in the woods. An impending front had the barometer rising and the critters moving. I saw several deer though none came into bow range and a flock of turkeys though it wasn't turkey season. As the sun was setting the temperature dropped like a lead balloon and the wind picked up, whipping through the woods and knocking down the few leaves still attached to branches. The first rain drop smacked me square in the face and then the bottom fell out. Within minutes my parka was drenched and my ears and fingers felt like they were going to fall off. I carefully lowered my bow, climbed down out of the tree and began the 1/2 mile trek back to the house. By the time I reached the yard I was miserable and feeling pretty low. But when I spotted the cabin, lights glowing from within, smoke curling out of the chimney my heart was instantly rejuvenated. I ran the last 100 yards and grabbed the door handle with a huge grin on my face and a flood of relief in my heart. Like Dorothy said, "There's no place like home."
As a Christian the word "home" has a completely different connotation. The Word teaches that believers are not of this world. We are aliens while on the Earth. Our home, heaven, awaits us and is the place we're anticipating. Not sure about you but I'm looking forward to my homecoming!

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. John 14:1-3

No comments: