Wednesday, April 11, 2007

04.11.07--Alabama Turkey Chase III



Morning comes even earlier the second day in hunt camp. We weren’t quite as responsive to the alarm’s clarion call. Stumbling from room to room gathering socks and gloves and calls and other assorted paraphernalia scattered about the cabin. I stepped out of the cabin onto the porch and instantly noticed the cool dampness. Everything was dripping wet. Clouds covered the moon and stars and a whipping wind masked all other sounds. At least it was no longer raining.
After Emory finally got his boots on we walked to our spot for the morning. I put out a couple decoys in a wheat field that backed up to a swampy bottom full of oaks, poplars and hickories and we concealed ourselves in some young pines and brush along the field’s edge. Eventually the sky turned from black to gray to lighter gray. Once again our setting was ideal and yet again it proved pointless. We waited approximately an hour before packing it up and heading back for some breakfast. Maybe the weather (or at least the wind) would let up and our afternoon hunt would be better.

PM - It was pouring. The gentle, spring shower had become a deluge. Thunder reverberated across the horizon and the wind was bending ancient oaks like they were saplings. I crawled into a shooting house, overlooking the clover field to escape the conditions and pulled out my small, camouflage Bible to pass the time. The swaying of the wind and the sound of raindrops hitting my tin roofed refuge combined with the sleep deprivation always associated with hunting trip put me right to sleep. I was awoken by the thump of the New Testament I’d been reading earlier hitting the bottom of the stand. I looked out the windows, the rain had stopped, and the sun was shining. The wind however, continued its blow so I decided to remain in my current locale. A glance at my watch showed I’d been “resting my eyes” for almost thirty minutes. I pulled a slate and striker out of my vest and began a series of purrs and clucks. Twenty minutes later I did it again. Nothing. Motion in the corner of my eye caught my attention. It was a decoy turning in the wind. Maybe I should pick up, cross the dirt road to another location and try it there? As I planned my new plan of attack I began to doze again. Again, motion in the corner of my eye. This time it wasn’t a decoy. A hen walked out on the field, feeding along the edge oblivious to my presence. She fed along the tree line and turned back to toward the woods. As she turned I noticed an appendage hanging from her neck. She was a HE and as he came closer it became more and more apparent that he was a mature gobbler. My call was lying at the bottom of the shooting house and picking it up would have meant putting my Benelli down and possible noise. So I decided to wait him out. Then he noticed the decoys in the field. His attention was captured and he meandered toward them and closer to me. When he reached the thirty yard mark I let him have it…3 ½ inches of Winchester #5’s right across the beak. He never made another move. I took a deep breath, gathered my stuff up and went down to check out my prize. He was an old bird. Eleven inch beard, long, rounded off spurs and beautiful coloration. I thanked God for this blessing and went to pick up the decoys. Emory walked up a minute or so later with a big grin on his face, which became even bigger when he saw the bird on the ground. We headed back to camp, two happy campers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[p]隆卤

Tiffany [url=http://www.discounttiffanyjewellery.co.uk]cheap tiffany jewellery
[/url] & Co . It occurs to be amid the regular manufacturers which are delight of [url=http://www.tiffanyjewelry-outlet.co.uk]tiffany jewelry outlet[/url] Men and women in the us . Many [url=http://www.tiffanyjewelry-outlet.co.uk]tiffany jewelry sale[/url] people want to purchase tiffany jewelry to top off their personality . Today is Friday, your favorite weekend is coming . Immediately after That `s passing away inside 1830, that beautiful special place connected with Henry Philip Anticipation, exceeded after the white wine yellow metal baskeball hoop diamond [url=http://www.discounttiffanyjewellery.co.uk]discount tiffany jewellery[/url] earrings when they get home possesses found yourself in name . This allows [url=http://www.tiffanyjewelry-outlet.co.uk]cheap tiffany jewelry[/url] your spinal curves to maintain neutral, and your head and neck to be supported . Immediately after That `s passing away inside 1830, that beautiful special place connected with Henry [url=http://www.discounttiffanyjewellery.co.uk]genuine tiffany jewellery[/url] Philip Anticipation, exceeded after the white wine yellow metal baskeball hoop diamond earrings when they get home possesses found yourself in name . The jewelry giant, which was showcased in the [url=http://www.tiffanyjewelry-outlet.co.uk]tiffany jewelry[/url] 1961 film "Breakfast at Tiffany's" starring Audrey Hepburn, has been a favorite when it comes to luxury jewelry ever since.[/p]